Tag Archives: KXStudio

Fix different locales being used in terminal output on Ubuntu 14.04(-based) distros with KDE

22 Jun

I was having an issue with a number of different languages being used simultaneously, and in a seemingly random fashion, in my terminal output (and in other apps), on my KXStudio 14.04 install. I remember having played around with locales a while ago, but I could not figure out how to go back to my terminal using only one language.

After searching for a bit, and figuring that /etc/default/locale wasn’t the source of the issue, I found that I had to edit ~/.KDE/env/setlocale.sh for it not to conflict anymore. It was specifically the following line that contained a bunch of different languages:

export LANGUAGE=en:fr:es:de

I replaced the series of language codes with the same value as the other lines, en_GB.UTF-8 in my case:

export LANGUAGE=en_GB.UTF-8

Save the script, and restart your computer. You should be good!

Hopefully this saves a few people some pain!

More on languages: this AskUbuntu question.

 

Get the right locale for Evolution

27 Apr

An issue that has been bugging me for a while is that Evolution (3.10.4) somehow has the French locale even though most of my system is in British English (I use KXStudio 14.04, with the default KDE 4.13.3). Changing the locale and language preferences in the system settings wouldn’t help at all. That might have had to do with me playing around with settings and languages and software versions a lot, but there you go: I am not sure how I got there, but I found a solution.

This Linux Mint Forum thread put me on the right track. It seems there is a mismatch between the Evolution version that is installed and the base language pack in use (i.e. the Evolution version for which the strings in language-pack-en-base are written).

Here are the steps to get the extra file you need to change the language in evolution. (In my case, I wanted the en_GB locale, but you can replace it with whatever you want; you can also replace the version numbers with the corresponding Evolution version you have installed on your system.)


wget "https://download.gnome.org/sources/evolution/3.8/evolution-3.10.4.tar.xz"
tar -Jxvf evolution-3.10.4.tar.xz evolution-3.10.4/po/en_GB.po
msgfmt -cv -o ./evolution-3.10.mo ./evolution-3.10.4/po/en_GB.po
rm -rf evolution-3.10.4

This will extract and copy the right locale file into your /usr/share/locale-langpack/en/LC_MESSAGES/ folder. Close and open Evolution, and you should have the menus in the right locale. (Keep in mind that some email folders will still be in the original language if they were created that way in the first place!)

Enable MP4 and WMA playback for Clementine on KXStudio 14.04

29 Apr

This is a quick note on one of the small issues I encountered since I started using KXStudio as my only OS. KXStudio is great Ubuntu-based distribution maintained by the amazing FalkTX, and directed at music production. It has repos that have up-to-date music production apps, as well as extra utilities that make it a lot easier to build your Jack server-based studio.

I noticed that I could not play MP4 out of the box in Clementine, getting an error message like “Your GStreamer is missing a plug-in.”. I simply had to install the “bad” part of the gstreamer plugins – “base”, “good” and “ugly” being already installed. The package is called “gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad” and you can install it by executing the following command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

You might also have noticed that WMA files don’t play, with a similar error message. For WMA playback, you will need to install a package that is not in the official repos. For that, add the “mc3man/gstffmpeg-keep” PPA and install the corresponding package with the following successive commands, following the prompts each time:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/gstffmpeg-keep
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

Remember to restart Clementine after those changes so it takes into account the new plugins.

This was tested on KXStudio 14.04 with Clementine 1.2.3 (now in the KXStudio 14.04 repos).

The next version of Clementine (probably 1.3) will use gstreamer1.0, which will solve a few issues with it not playing some formats, including lossless WMA for example. So make sure you remove that PPA and uninstall the package when you upgrade Clementine.  But really, you should just convert those nasty files to a different format. Clementine has a built-in transcoder that you can use to convert your problematic formats (MP4, WMA) to open formats that will never bring up issues like this in the future, like FLAC for your lossless tracks or Ogg Vorbis for your lossy ones. And get your new music in those formats too!